John Piper, in his book “Providence”, concluded (pp.694-711) by providing ten examples of the effects that knowing and loving God’s providence –the all-embracing, all-pervasive, invincible, purposeful sovereignty of God– will have in a Christian’s life. God’s providence may bring us joy or sorrow but may we see and savor the greatness and beauty of God in His mysterious yet wise, perfect, and loving providence.
1. Seeing and savoring this providence awakens awe and leads us into the depth of true God-centered, Christ-exalting, Bible-saturated worship.
2. Seeing and savoring this providence makes us marvel at our own salvation and humbles us because of our sin.
3. Seeing and savoring this providence causes us to see everything as part of God’s design—everything as from him and through him and to him, for his glory.
4. Seeing and savoring this providence helps protect us from the trivializing effects of culture and from trifling with divine things.
5. Seeing and savoring this providence helps us be patient and faithful amid the most inexplicable circumstances of life.
6. Seeing and savoring this providence shows us that the “problem” of God’s sovereignty in suffering is more than relieved by the sustaining purpose and power of his sovereignty through suffering.
7. Seeing and savoring this providence makes us alert and resistant to man-centered substitutes that pose as good news.
8. Seeing and savoring this providence makes us confident that God has the right and the power to answer prayer that people’s hearts and minds would be changed.
9. Seeing and savoring this providence shows us that evangelism and missions are absolutely essential for people to be converted to Christ, because God makes them the means of his work in creating saving faith.
10. Seeing and savoring this providence assures us that for all eternity God will be increasingly glorified in us as we are increasingly satisfied in him.
To God be the glory!
Reference: Piper, John. Providence. Wheaton, Illinois Crossway, 2020.
This article was published by Jeff Chavez for Herald of Grace Covenant Bible Church of Cavite. https://hgcbcc.com/2022/11/30/how-should-gods-providence-affect-our-lives/